Here are the top three winners from the 2021 Wisconsin State Fair baking contest category "Wisconsin Dreamin' - Legend-Dairy Nothing to Wine About Pound Cake" All entries had to use Wisconsin wine in the recipe.
Nothing to Wine about Pound Cake Desert - Catherine Price, Big Bend
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sparkling wine ("Crimson Royale" from the Von Stiehl Winery)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup safflower or canola oil
- 5 cold eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Glaze: 1 cup Powdered Sugar, 4-5 tablespoons sparkling wine
- Additions: Frosted Zinfandel Grapes*, whipped cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9X4 loaf pan.
In large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk together well to combine.
In another bowl add wine and sour cream; stir to combine.
In a bowl of an electric mixer, add sugar, butter, and oil; beat well to combine.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one, then add vanilla; Beat on medium to high
3 to 5 minutes or until thicker and lighter in color.
Add a small amount of the flour mixture; mix on low until combined. T hen add half the wine mixture; mix on low until combined. Repeat with the flour mixture, the remaining wine mixture, and remaining flour mixture.
Place mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Turn out on rack; cool completely.
To Make Up:
Cut off the top the pound cake, and using a small biscuit cutter, cut out four cylindrical pieces
of the remaining cake. Take 4 glasses, place whipped cream into the bottom of each glass.
Take the 4 cylindrical cakes and place one on top of the cream in each glass. Take 1 cup powdered sugar, and slowly mix in some of the wine a spoonful at a time until you
get a nice drizzling consistency. Pour the glaze over each cake, letting it drip slightly over the edges of the cake. Take about 4-5 frosted grapes and place on one side of the cake.
* Frosted Grapes: Take 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar, and heat on a low heat until sugar is melted. Add grapes, and coat in the syrup; remove and place grapes (not touching each other) on a tray, leave for about an hour. Pour about 1/2 cup sugar on a plate and roll each grape in the remaining sugar.; leave to dry for about an hour.
Blackberry Merlot Wine Pound Cake - Stephanie Bechel, Butler
- 3 eggs + 3 yolks
- 1/2 tbl vanilla
- 1 tsp blackberry extract
- 1/4 cup Blackberry Merlot (Door Peninsula)
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped blackberries
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- Jam for Topping
- 1 1/3 cup thawed blackberries (from frozen)
- 2/3 cup Blackberry Merlot (Door Peninsula)
- 1/4 cup sugar
1. Cream the butter and 1 1/3 cups sugar until smooth, and whisk in the eggs, yolks and extracts
2. Add in the flour and salt and 1/4 cup Blackberry Merlot, alternating between he two
3. Dredge the chopped blackberries in some flour and fold into the cake batter
4. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes on 350F
5. While it's cooking, combine the thawed blackberries, 2/3 cup Blackberry Merlot and 1/4 cup
sugar and let cook down into a jam. Remove from heat
6. When the cake comes out of the oven, prick it with thin sticks all over and brush Blackberry
Merlot on top. Top with the blackberry jam
Buttery Black Cherry Apple Pound Cake - Cindy Chamberlain, Franklin
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour IO inch bundt pan, set aside. In large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift mixture, set aside. Stir together Tenba Ridge Black Cherry Apple wine and sour cream, set aside.
In large bowl beat sugar, melted butter with electric mixer until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time,beating well after each. Beat in vanilla extract. Beat on medium to high 3 to 5 minutes until lighter color. Add one-third the flour mixture, beat on low just until combined. Add half the Tenba Ridge Black Cherry Apple wine mixture, beat just until combined. Repeat with one-third the flour mixture, the remaining wine mixture and remaining flour mixture. With rubber spatula scrape batter into prepared pan.
Bake 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Turn onto plate, cool completely.
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons Tenba Ridge Black Cherry Apple wine.
In small bowl, mix powdered sugar with wine until reach drizzle consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake.