The Cellar Hand is responsible for assisting with the production of all wines, harvest, vineyard maintenance and helping with any cellar-related tasks while following all von Stiehl’s policies and standard operating procedures.
• Previous experience in a similar position working in a production environment
• Knowledge and understanding of all von Stiehl standards, SOP’s, and safety data sheets
• Working knowledge of cellar equipment
• Highly organized with great attention to detail
• Working knowledge of wine in general
• Computer proficient
• Mechanical aptitude and ability to break down items and put them back together as designed
• Positive attitude with an impeccable work ethic
• Valid Wisconsin driver’s license with CDL designation
• Ability to drive and operate a Forklift
• Ability to lift 50+ pounds
• Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule that can be up to 7 days a week during harvest
• Communicate clearly and concisely with Assistant Winemaker and Winemaker.
• Follow all written and verbal Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and adhere to all safety practices • Maintain and use proper PPE at all times.
• Routinely work on bottling line as directed by Assistant Winemaker or Winemaker.
• Receiving and picking orders for wholesale and packing pallets per von Stiehl shipping standards. • Ensure all information about the tanks is communicated to the proper personnel and recording accurately in the logbooks.
• Ensure all paperwork is completed from tasks during shift.
• Develop working knowledge of all cellar chemicals and their appropriate uses.
• Report all low inventories of production supplies to Assistant Winemaker or Winemaker.
• Responsible for but not limited to: cellar, tank, and equipment cleaning and sanitizing.
• Perform daily and weekly equipment maintenance.
• Assist with winery grounds upkeep.
• Perform daily and weekly tasks as assigned by the Assistant Winemaker or Winemaker in accordance with all von Stiehl’s SOP’s.
• Assisting Assistant Winemaker and Winemaker with facility startup and shutdown.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear. The employee is required to sit; walk; bend; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop or kneel. The employee must lift and/or move 50+ pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
While performing the essential functions of this job, it is a physical job in a winery/production/manufacturing setting that requires long periods of standing, walking, lifting, climbing ladders, walking catwalks, heights of 20+ feet, tight spaces, driving, operating equipment, and observing others. While performing the various duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions.
Anthony J. Bilwin
von Stiehl Winery • Captain's Walk Winery
115 Navarino Street
Algoma, WI 54201
(920) 487-5208 ext. 111